The Business Case for ATSC 3.0
BIA/Kelsey delivers an in-depth examination and review of the commercial television broadcasting business in the report, “The Business Case for ATSC 3.0.”
The report examines ATSC from a business perspective by exploring the advantages this new standard will bring to the industry and local television stations. It examines the positive effects ATSC could have on increasing ad revenue, reversing local television station viewing trends and growing non-advertising revenue through the development of new IP-based business models. The report also explains how long it will take stations to recoup investments.
Included in the report is BIA/Kelsey’s forecast for incremental ad revenue from ATSC 3.0 from 2017 through 2023. If you’re looking for a deep dive into ATSC 3.0, this report offers valuable business insights and perspectives based on industry data.
ATSC 3.0 is the buzz in the television industry. BIA/Kelsey’s report “The Business Case for ATSC 3.0” offers a comprehensive examination of the opportunity from a business perspective, covering both the objectives and concerns of television broadcasting industry and its members.
While it is important to understand what is necessary technically for the transition from the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) 1.0 standard to the proposed ATSC 3.0 standard, the business implications are always central to major capital expenditure decisions. This report asks and answers several key questions, including: What are the costs? What are the benefits? What is the potential return on investment in a reasonable time frame?
The table of content for this 25 page report includes the following:
- The Business Case for ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) 3.0
- Analysis of Viewership Trends
- Competition for Viewing News
- Effect of ATSC 3.0 on Television Viewing
- Revenue in ATSC Environment
- Television Advertising Revenue
- Total Local Advertising Revenue
- ATSC 3.0 Effect on Television Advertising Revenue
- Developing New Business Models Cost of Deployment
- Implementation and Timing
- Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Build-Out Costs
- Advertising Revenue Datacasting Revenue
- Content Distribution and Edge Storage Revenue
- Home IoT Gateway and Other Revenue
- Tom Buono, CEO, BIA/Kelsey
- Mark Fratrik, Chief Economist and SVP, BIA/Kelsey
- Mark O’Brien, CTO, SpectraRep
“As local television stations confront incredible competition from many different fronts, the business case for investing in ATSC 3.0 is strong. The improvements this technology delivers -including improved picture quality, increased capacity, and new types of services – could greatly improve the financial position of local television stations.”
Mark Fratrik, Chief Economist and SVP, BIA/Kelsey